26 Mar Learning in the time of COVID 19
It has been quite a difficult time for everybody with work from home, school closures and adopting new ways of teaching and learning. School leaders are adapting to these changes and making decisions every day to mitigate the loss of learning.
As school leaders there are so many questions going through our mind right now:
- What impact will this have on student learning?
- What impact will it have on the economy—now and in the long-term?
- How will we support students who need structure and stability of the classroom?
- Will students be motivated and independent and continue their learning?
- Will our teachers be able to provide similar learning outcomes?
- What upskilling programmes do we need to support teachers?
- What can we do to support ourselves and our students in getting through these uncertain times.
A lot of schools have adapted well to online teaching and supporting students with resources to work from home. We know that addressing the academic and learning needs alone will not be enough for students to achieve success in the endeavours they wish to pursue. We need to look at the social and emotional learning needs of both our students and teachers to support us now and when students return to school.
The Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence talks about the RULER Approach to promote the psychosocial health and well-being of educators and their students and parents.
“Ruler is an acronym for the five skills of emotional intelligence:
- Recognizing emotions in oneself and others
- Understanding the causes and consequences of emotions
- Labelling emotions with a nuanced vocabulary
- Expressing emotions in accordance with cultural norms and social context
- Regulating emotions with helpful strategies”
This approach can help us navigate these unprecedented times and manage the health and well-being of our students and school communities.
 “RULER Approach .” Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence, Mar. 2020, ei.yale.edu/.
|WEBINAR: 1||Learning that matters – Moving learning online||8th April 2020||
3 pm to 4 pm
|WEBINAR: 2||Learning that matters – Teaching digital citizenship skills||Coming Soon||Coming Soon||Coming Soon|
|WEBINAR: 3||Learning that matters – Online Professional Development||Coming Soon||Coming Soon||Coming Soon|